January 08, 2019
Location: Greater Boston Area
Our client is developing innovative polymeric materials and processes based on liquid crystal polymers for an increasing number of applications in the microelectronics, telecom and lightweight structural components markets. We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated materials science engineer with strong, hands-on laboratory experience and analytical knowledge to execute new product development projects. The position will provide opportunities to collaborate with highly-talented people and the autonomy to complete tasks with minimal supervision in an innovative, scientific environment creating breakthrough new products.
The main responsibility of the materials science engineer is to complete new product development projects for with minimal guidance. The engineer must be able to design, execute, record, format, analyze, conclude, plan and present all technical aspects of a new product development project. The engineer should also have the ability to operate and maintain all of the equipment resources in the Process Engineering Group, as well as support Process Engineering Group work outside of their assigned new product development projects. This position is located in the Greater Boston area.
- B.S. or M.S. Materials Science or Polymer Science degree with 3-5 years’ experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate for the position must be hands-on and must have a strong technical base in extrusion process as well as a good understanding of process controls and technical tools used to troubleshoot and solve problems independently. The individual will work with a group of scientists and engineers in a team-orientated, interdisciplinary environment. The individual must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills and contribute to work in a safe and respectful environment. Responsibilities also include performing rheological experiments to have the necessary physical parameters to develop and improve extrusion processes. Experience in computer aided design such as Solid Works or AutoCAD is a plus.
New Product Development:
- Develop extrusion processes for thin polymeric films based on liquid-crystal technology.
- Develop Design of Experiments for investigating raw material and processing variables to meet targeted properties with input from the commercial team.
- Conduct or coordinate all material preparation, product manufacturing, characterization and testing for assigned new product development projects.
- Responsible for recording all technical data in an organized format.
- Format technical data in appropriate tables and graphs, analyze results, and draw conclusions and identify next steps for the project.
- Prepare all information related to the design, execution, data formatting and analysis, conclusions and next steps in a presentation format for internal and external review.
Operate Process Engineering Equipment:
- Operate, maintain and optimize all processing, compounding, film extrusion and injection molding equipment in the Process Engineering Group.
- Execute all quality control procedures related to equipment settings and material output.
- Assist Process Engineering with all equipment upgrades, maintenance and repair.
- Assist in tasks related to EHS requirements for all equipment resources.
Associate: Jean M. Nolan